The very term “authoring tool” means a multitude of different things to various marketers out there. Since many people are working in different industries, so the application and perspective of the tools change. However, in the realm of eLearning, this basically implies software that is used to create courseware and lessons.
It is worthwhile noting that just a few years ago, most people still considered it too complicated to use along with it being a rather expensive purchase. Thankfully, that is now changing with the slow but steady interaction of microlearning-based lessons as well as elaborate and more detailed templates. With effective company training programs, fewer people are needed.
The most common snags to avoid
In this regard, one of the most common mistakes is forgetting even to check the efficiency of the tool in meeting its objective as well as observing its impact. A new authoring tool will understandably cause a great deal of excitement as you will be able to flesh out all of your big ideas into a conceivable reality.
By sidestepping all the associated snags, you will be able to utilize all of the benefits of the tool to the fullest. Even having the most high-tech content authoring tools is of little to no use if one is clueless about the true nature of those tools. With that out of the way, we can focus on the most common mistakes to watch out for:-
- Not getting the stakeholders on board: In the case of why the chosen authoring tool is the best option for you, budget holders plus your technical team, as well as your stakeholders, will certainly need a fair amount of convincing on that front.To fix this, go to the tool provider himself for some convincing case studies and testimonials that prove the benefits. One even has the option of review sites that illustrate the various possibilities that can be achieved with the new tool.
- Little to no clarity: One cannot simply go for a new authoring tool because it is a trend. Things do not work that way and you need to have a concrete reason to communicate with your team. The reasons could range from you wanting to equip your team with all the necessary development skills to even the acceleration of course creation.
- The expectation is not matching the reality: This can happen due to a lack of proper training which leaves employees unable to figure out how to use their skills to get the job done in the best way. To prevent this, personal coaching and access to a health center will certainly help and also look into specific ways to empower your team so that they share your enthusiasm by being on the same page.
What are the key traits of an authoring tool?
This is the most important question that one needs to ask. The process of introduction will certainly be expensive, but you will have a hoard of resources by your side that you can use for the profit and betterment of your company in every way. Here are the key traits:-
- Microlearning: For the most part, long courses tend to be both inefficient and a waste of time. With microlearning-based training at your fingertips, the course creation process will become a lot simpler and smoother.
- The aspect of integration: There are no two ways around this fact – Making sure that an authoring tool is working to the fullest of its capacity requires a significant level of both compatibility and complexity. Since it is creating content for the LMS (Learning Management System), both managers and developers will have to deal with two sets of complicated software.On the other hand, if you manage to integrate it into the LMS, only one person or team will be needed to manage it.
- Proper templates: Since the tool enables you to upload learning content to gamified and interactive templates, this makes the creation of intricate eLearning courses and lessons much easier.