The team behind Electra jailbreak tool finally made good their promise and released a working jailbreak for 64-bit devices running iOS 11. If you’ve been on the jailbreak scene for a while, it shouldn’t bother you to know that is is another semi-untethered jailbreak.
As a semi-untethered jailbreak, you lose your jailbreak every time you reboot your phone, but you don’t need to tether it to a PC to re-jailbreak. You only need to run the jailbreak app already installed on the phone.
This jailbreak is compatible with 64-bit devices running iOS 11.2 down to iOS 11.3.1. Supported devices include:
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6 / 6 Plus / 6s / 6s Plus
- iPhone 7 / 7 Plus
- iPhone 8 / 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPad Pro 9.7 / 10.5 / 12.9
- iPad Air / Air 2
- iPad Mini 2 / 3 / 4
- iPod 6G
Before you begin
You should note that this may not be successful at the first attempt. Coolstar, the developer behind the jailbreak, also gave some recommendations you might want to follow before proceeding with the jailbreak.
- Disable Siri
- Enable Airplane mode
- Delete iOS 11.4.1 update data from Settings > General > Storage
- Download and install tvOS iOS 12 beta profile. This blocks your device from automatically updating your phone.
You might also want to:
- Disable passcode
- Disable Find my iPhone
With these done, you should be ready to jailbreak your device.
Jailbreak iOS 11.2 to 11.3.1 with a computer
1. Download Electra IPA file from the official website. There are two different versions: One is for users with regular Apple accounts and the other is for people with developer accounts.
If you do not have an Apple developer account, be sure to download the one labeled (Non Dev Accont).
2. Download and install Cydia Impactor. You can download for macOS, Windows or Linux here.
3. Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch via USB and start Cydia Impactor. Be sure the program detects your device.
4. Drag the downloaded IPA file to Cydia Impactor to start the installation.
5. You will have to enter your Apple ID and password when asked. Normally, this is sent to Apple to sign the app but if you’re not comfortable with the idea of keying in your Apple ID into a third-party app, you could use a burner Apple ID to do this.
If you’ve enabled 2-step authentication enabled on your Apple account, Cydia Impactor may display an error asking you to sign in with an app-specific password. To do this, log in to appleid.apple.com on your browser and generate the app-specific password.
6. After you’ve logged in to your Apple account and the process has continued, you should have Electra app installed on your device after a while. But you can’t run it just yet.
6. To run the app, you first need to trust the developer profile. Go to Settings > General > Device Management. You should see your Apple ID here, tap it and then hit the Trust button.
7. Go back to the Springboard and run Electra. Tap the Jailbreak button to start.
8. It should go through 3 stages. After the second stage, Cydia should be installed and your device should reboot.
9. Run Electra again. Now tap Enable Jailbreak.
10. After a while, it should display “Already Jailbroken.”
11. Launch Cydia and be sure you run all needed updates. You’re done.
It is not guaranteed that this is going to work at the very first attempt. You may have to keep trying before it works. Unlike previous jailbreak exploits, the success rate of this jailbreak isn’t as high as what we’ve seen in the past.
If you can’t get this to work, try to follow our guide that explains how to jailbreak iOS 11.3.1 without a computer.
Semi-untethered jailbreak explained
If you reboot your device, it’s no longer jailbroken. But simply running the Electra app and following steps 7 to 11 should enable jailbreak again. You don’t need to hook it up to a PC so far Electra still runs fine.
Electra expires every 7 days
As mentioned earlier, you should note that this app would stop working after 7 days unless you are an enterprise developer. After 7 days, the app would crash if you try to run it. You need to hook up your device to your computer again, sign and install the IPA file with Cydia Impactor and follow the rest of the steps.
However, the jailbreak should work just fine after 7 days so far you do not reboot your device. The app is only needed to re-jailbreak.