Many businesses continue to run on legacy systems that offer all types of limitations. As the underlying technology becomes obsolete, you are creating loopholes that can affect your business processes, efficiency, and productivity.
Migrating to new technologies can help you keep up with the latest changes and empower your business more effectively. Explore the key reasons for getting the help of a software development company like Intetics to switch from a legacy application.
One of the most important benefits of migrating or redesigning your business application is that it improves the performance of your business processes. The advantages span across different areas including:
- Data retrieval speeds, saving, and processing
- Enabling compatibility with the latest operating systems
- Embracing technologies that can access the latest hardware and software UI
Moving to a new software helps improve the overall business functionality. The latest software and technologies have features not found in legacy systems. They allow your business to benefit from the improvements in networking and hardware systems. You will have modern systems that embrace cloud computing and benefit you from big data processing tools. They can also support mobile integration.
Improved Application Efficiency
Conventional legacy applications required that addition of any new features needed to be installed on the software on all the different user systems. This was because software were developed based on client-server relationship. The app was installed on each user’s system. These old legacy systems don’t have the capabilities to benefit from the power of modern computer systems, laptops, and mobile devices. So when you switch to modern applications, you are moving towards higher efficiency.
Keep Up with the Latest Changes
Your business will have to evolve to the market’s ever-changing demands. This means adding new business functions that may have been inconceivable at the time of the software set-up. Legacy systems have limitations in terms of scalability and updates. One of the most common changes is that your partners and/or vendors may upgrade their systems. This can create incompatibility issues between your systems.
Improved User Experience
The right software development company – intetics is going to help you move to an application that offers better user experience. User experience (UX) is at the core of any successful software design. And modern applications are designed and developed around it. The latest software are focused on usability and user interface at a much higher and deeper level than legacy systems. The earlier applications were designed specifically keeping in mind functionality goals without much attention to UX.
Legacy software systems have been in the market for a long time. This means that they are more vulnerable to security threats because of the longer time they were available for hackers to break-in. The risks are even amplified when you consider that these programs weren’t developed with security as a priority, but with functionality at the core. The security measures were taken gradually with time.
New applications are developed with security as the most important element, from the ground up. They are developed with features to keep your data protected while allowing authorized access.
There are many more reasons for moving away from a legacy system, including the following:
- Lack of Legacy System Expertise: Software technologies (including programming languages) keep evolving and changing with time. The new generation of IT professionals are least likely to train in older languages and technologies that may become obsolete in the near future. Thus, you can face a situation where there is lack of expertise for legacy applications in the near future or in the present itself.
- Unable to Support Mobile Apps: The earlier software programs are least likely to support or integrate with latest mobile apps. This can create several issues and affect your business processes and brand image.
- Mobile Compatibility Issues: Legacy systems weren’t designed keeping in mind the deep penetration of mobile services. They can also not be expected to offer services on social media and similar platforms.
Thus, there are many reasons for getting the help of a software development company – intetics to migrate your legacy systems to the latest technologies.