Technology can offer us a wealth of benefits, including stronger mental health. Everyone experiences anxiety. It’s a natural response to stress. However, it can be uncomfortable, so learning how to manage it can help you feel better. Anxiety management can strengthen mental and physical health, improve outlook and productivity, ease feelings of worry, and boost self-esteem.
If you are experiencing a mental health concern, please reach out for help. You can get advice and connect with licensed mental health professionals at BetterHelp.
10 Ways to Use Technology to Cope with Anxiety and Strengthen Self-Esteem
- Use apps for mindfulness. There are many apps to help you relax and practice mindfulness. Mindfulness involves focusing awareness on the present moment without judgment. It can be useful for separating yourself from anxious feelings and thoughts, especially worries about the past and future. Mindfulness apps can guide you through mindful meditation.
- Use apps to practice deep breathing. Deep breathing is a tool you can use anywhere to calm a racing mind and control anxiety. Breathing deeply sends a message to the brain to relax. Apps can help you learn a variety of effective ways to breathe deeply to manage anxiety and stress.
- Use tech to distract yourself from anxious thoughts. If you find yourself feeling anxious and caught up in troubling thoughts, doing something else can help. Technology offers many ways to take a break. For instance, watching something funny, playing a game, or connecting with friends online can help you interrupt anxious feelings.
- Connect with others through technology. Technology enables us to quickly communicate with others, whether near or far. Having supportive relationships is important for mental health, including coping with anxiety and strengthening self-esteem. Keep relationships healthy with regular communication—both face-to-face and virtually. Try reaching out to others for support when you’re facing challenges.
- Learn more about managing anxiety and boosting self-esteem through smart use of technology. Reputable websites, podcasts, and e-books can offer helpful insight into anxiety management, self-esteem, and other mental and emotional health issues.
- Use tech for stress-reducing time management: Feeling organized and in control can help ease feelings of anxiety. Using calendar, reminder, and list apps can help you keep track of what you have scheduled and what you need to do, which help ease your mind.
- Cue the Music for Mental Wellness: Research shows that listening to music can lower levels of stress and anxiety. Listening to music can lower levels of the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol and trigger the release of feel-good chemicals in the brain, such as dopamine, which is linked to feelings of pleasure, and oxytocin, which is linked to feelings of love and connection.
- Find creative outlets and ideas on the Internet: Engaging in creative activities and hobbies can boost self-esteem and help ease anxiety. Many ideas and communities for creative activities and outlets are available online. While creating, getting into a “flow” state—when you’re completely absorbed in what you’re doing and engaged in the present—can ease anxiety. Creative endeavors can boost self-esteem. The results aren’t as important as the creative process—just the act of doing something creative can boost confidence and give a sense of contentment.
- Use the Internet to plan trips and outdoor activities. Spending time outside has proven mental health benefits. Try using the Internet to find green spaces near you where you can take the time to enjoy fresh air and have a healthy re-set. You can also use online resources to plan a trip. Just the act of planning can boost mood and reduce stress.
- Consider online therapy. Online therapy can be an affordable, accessible, effective way to address mental health concerns such as anxiety and self-esteem. Using technology to work with a licensed mental health professional has numerous advantages. Not only can you improve mental health and feel better with effective treatment, but you can also connect comfortably from your own home or space.
The link between anxiety and self-esteem:
Self-esteem refers to a person’s sense of value or worth. Low self-esteem often leads to worries about making mistakes or disappointing others, which can be anxiety-provoking. Adjusting mindset to focus on strengths and being mindful that nobody is perfect can help boost self-esteem and help with anxiety management.
Smart use of smart technology:
Using technology wisely can help strengthen mental health. Following smart guidelines—like using social media carefully, putting phones away at night, and practicing being present in the moment instead of caught up in devices—are healthy actions you can take. Proactive use of reputable tech resources can help with anxiety management and mental wellness.