Working remotely creates a whole new lifestyle that allows you to continue to grow in your career while spending more time at home with your loved ones. Conscious internet practices and tools are a crucial component for anyone working remotely.
Technology is developing new tools that allow virtual teams to progress quickly in their projects. An example of such a tool is Milanote. This platform allows teams to work across different locations, time-zones, and countries. It is designed to help virtual teams exchange ideas and create a plan to achieve their vision.
Another big player in the virtual work scene is Amazon with its AWS solutions for remote workers. AWS was designed to provide solutions to employees, students, and other remote individuals. Users can access work and learning tools to enhance their performance as they work remotely.
Online Precautions Online Workers Must Consider
Working online comes with security risks we must bring to our awareness. Let’s review the most common ones:
- Unsecured WiFi networks: most people have a secured WiFi connection at home. However, sometimes you may have to work from an unsecured WiFi network in a public place. This creates opportunities for spies who monitor internet traffic to gather people’s personal information and other confidential data.
- Using personal devices and networks: during the coronavirus pandemic, many people were forced to work from home without really being prepared to do so. The use of personal devices and home WiFi networks lack the tools included in business networks. Tools such as anti-virus software, firewalls, and back-up applications. This scenario creates a risk for malware invasion and leakage of information.
- Scams targeting remote workers: scammers are always ready to implement their newly created strategies to keep the upper hand on consumers. An increasing number of unemployed people is the perfect breeding ground for work-from-home scams.
In order to prevent falling victim to these criminal activities, you can take certain measures that will help reduce your risk of someone interfering with your online activities.
This list is not all-encompassing, so check with industry experts often to stay up-to-date on the latest trends.
Ten tips to help you stay safe as you work remotely:
- Create strong passwords.
- Use a VPN when surfing the internet.
- Set up firewalls and anti-virus software.
- Ensure your home router is secured.
- Install updates to your computer regularly.
- Practice backing up your data often.
- Set up two-factor identification to verify your identity.
- Look out for messages that seem to be scams.
- Use a password to lock your device.
- Engage only in encrypted communication.
Practicing internet precautions regularly will keep you productive in your online work endeavors. Using the right tools to maintain an orderly workflow and a secure connection are the basic responsibilities of all remote workers.
It is inevitable to have to adapt to new technology and innovative business practices. It is an exciting opportunity to be able to work remotely. Now is the perfect time to learn as much as you can about this dynamic labor sector.