Most iPhone users were forced to stick with iOS 5.0.1 because it was the only firmware that allowed untethered jailbreak. I did this on a friend’s iPhone using redsn0w and it worked quite well but we all know there are more feautures included in iOS 5.1.1. Fortunately, GeenPois0n now jailbreaks iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G and iPhone 4S. You don’t need to be scared because it’s an untethered jailbreak and you won’t need to connect you iPhone to your computer each time you need to boot it. GreenPois0n Absinthe tool can jailbreak all A4 and A5 iOS devices (iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches) except, of course, the latest iPad 2 which has a 32nm A5 CPU. Support will be added for that later, I believe.
Download Absinthe 2.0.1 compatible with your OS
The following devices are supported:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad (3rd gen)
- iPad 2
- iPad 1
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- Apple TV 2G
Please, note that I am not liable to any damage done to your phone by following this procedure and you may lose your warranty. I personally tried this with a friend’s iPhone 4 and it worked perfectly.
1. Be sure to make a backup of your data before proceeding as something may go wrong.
2. As soon as the backup is complete, go to your phone phone settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Be sure to connect your phone to iTunes to upgrade your iOS to 5.1.1 if you haven’t done this already. You have to do this, else this jailbreak may not work for you.
4. With your phone connected to the computer, extract the zip content and run Absinthe
You phone may appear like its restoring data but this is normal. Just wait till you see “Done…enjoy” appear on Absinthe.
7. You should now have Cydia installed on your phone. Run it and let it configure the necessary things!
It’s the easiest jailbreak ever. When it’s all done, go back to iTunes, right click on your device name under “Devices” on the left and click ‘Restore from Back Up. Select your most recent backup to restore your apps, games, settings and other things.