Whether you’re on blogger or wordpress, using google adsense for search has a lot of advantages over using the default search box that comes with most templates. I’ve been creating google adsense for search units for my sites since 2009 but I noticed something strange when I tried creating a new adsense for search unit lately – the search results was only displaying what it could fetch from the homepage.
I tried searching online for a possible fix but couldn’t find any. I even checked google’s forum but I only saw a couple of people with the same problem and no one offered any reasonable solution. I compared the new adsense for unit settings with the ones I created long ago and it was the same. The old ones search all posts but the newly created one only searches the homepage. I knew it wasn’t a problem with indexing because all those posts are already indexed by both Googlebot and Google Adsense Bot.
If you’re having this kind of problem with your google custom search for adsense, there’s a workaround that worked for me.
I’ve always written the URL in full (http://www.doncaprio.com) before and it used to search the whole site but using the same thing in recently created google adsense for search units seems to search just the homepage.
The bottom line is this – if you’re having that same problem, write just your domain name like I did instead of your full URL. It’s a fix that worked for me, hope it works for you as well.